IFI – the International Federation of Interior Architects / Designers (IFI) is the singular world federation for the discipline’s design communities, policymakers, experts and enthusiasts. An independent body who acts as the ‘UN’ for interiors worldwide, IFI’s headquarters are appropriately located within the United Nations’ international territory in New York City.
An independent body who acts as the ‘UN’ for interiors worldwide
At the world level, IFI’s responsibilities include comprehensively strengthening professional knowledge, caliber of work and integrity of practice, as well as promoting the value of quality design and advancing its impacts. IFI unifies Interior Architecture/Design through globally relevant knowledge, experience and understanding, while engaging the profession with the general public
IFI represents close to a quarter-million designers, educators and industry stakeholders in the international design community in all continents, collectively representing practicing Interior Architects / Designers worldwide.
IFI exists to expand, internationally and across all levels of society, the contribution and awareness of the Interior Architecture/Design profession through the exchange and development of knowledge and experience in education, research and practice, through fellowship and community
IFI is founded on five core values that guide its membership, support its programs and shape its future:
- Lead the Interior Architecture/Design discipline into the future
- Further public awareness of the influence and impact of Interior Architecture/Design
- Connect the global Interior Architecture/Design profession and community to identify and provide design solutions to global problems
- Establish and implement world standards and guidelines for the profession, education and research by establishing and adopting best practices
- Educate the profession through actionable programs, events and publications
Social Responsibility Statement
IFI believes in the power of Design as a vehicle for human betterment and productive improvement. IFI recognizes that all people are equal across the world and that well-designed environments help to uplift humanity and civil society. It promotes equal rights and access to Interior Architecture/ Design practice, research and education to be granted equally to all who wish to pursue it. This is regardless of race, gender, creed, sexual orientation, cultural heritage and socio-economic background, and not-withstanding disparities brought forth across different regional contexts. That good and quality Design requires to foundationally take into consideration these and other such evolving factors as technological innovation, globalization, economic and political instability and social inequality, as well as holistic consideration of the environmental/sustainable factors.
- Assist and facilitate in the exchange of professional and educational knowledge
- Encourage international co-operation, in education, business, design and social awareness
- Provide information on economic, political and technical developments for Interior Design
- Create an organization of global service to the Interior Architecture/Design Profession by facilitating industry and government involvement
- Use the Professional skills of Interior Architects/Designers to uplift communities and observe social responsibility
- Liaise with other international design-related organizations.
- Promote the contribution of Interior Architecture/Design in society across the world and develop a platform of design advocacy and policy
Definition of a Professional Interior Architect/Designer
Qualified by education, experience and applied skills, the professional Interior Architect/Designer accepts the following responsibilities:
- Identify, research and creatively solve problems pertaining to the function and quality of the interior environment
- Perform services relating to interior spaces including programming, design analysis, space planning, aesthetics and inspection of work on site, using specialized knowledge of interior construction, building systems and components, building regulations, equipment, materials and furnishings
- Prepare schematics, drawings and documents relating to the design of interior space in order to enhance the quality of life and protect the health, safety, welfare and environment of the public.