April 8, 2020
Launching IFI WID 2020
Celebrating and re-engaging with the spaces that connect us in quarantine
It’s time, once again, to formally celebrate Interiors – the profession, discipline, and spaces – which impact and shape our lives and world. IFI World Interiors Day (IFI WID) 2020 is just around the corner, officially being celebrated on Saturday, 23 May, and throughout the month of May. All at IFI are excited to see and hear how designers and lovers of the design plan to explore this year’s theme, ‘Nexus Interiors’.
Perhaps you are thinking, “I don’t even know what ‘nexus’ means, so how can I celebrate it?” We are here to help! Let’s start by defining ‘nexus’.
For most of us right now, the places we live have literally become our ‘nexus’, in all of its definitions. In these exceptional times, we encourage you to find fun, creative, interactive and memory-making ways of connecting in your spaces with family, friends, colleagues, roommates and even pets, in-person or virtually!
IFI invites you to extend the party. Expand your World Interiors Day celebrations this year with weekly mini WID ‘nexus’ activities leading up to Saturday, 23 May 2020.
Mini WID activity ideas:
(invite your entire household – from the young to the young-at-art – for changed perspective and shifted paradigms)
- Have an indoor picnic
- Create a space within a space (think living room fort or an oasis/reading nook using pillows or whatever you have on hand)
- Take an indoor walk down memory lane past or present – look through old photos, read through your old journals, create a gallery wall
- Play hide & seek with people or objects to explore the hidden corners and spaces you take for granted
Clear some space for a dance floor and turn up the music
- Where in the world would you go? Decorate your space to reflect your chosen destination
- Design and build structures using cards, dominoes or whatever you have on hand
- Create storytime – ask those with you to share a memory of a specific space where something funny or meaningful took place
- Plan an indoor “food” crawl – with one course in each room
- Imagine it – redesign a portion (or all) of your space without limitations than with the limitations of only things you have on-hand
And many more imaginative ideas you come up with for building connections and experiences in your spaces that will create memorable moments and relationships long into the future.
Finally, let’s actively continue to build our broader IFI and international design community nexus by sharing the big and small ways what we are thinking about and how we are celebrating.
In what we are calling “WID Wednesdays”, we will feature some of your ongoing thoughts and contributions on “Nexus Interiors” on social media every Wednesday between now and Saturday, 23 May.
Already have a 2020 WID event in the works? We would love to hear about it. Post using #WIDWednesdays and follow us on:
IFI Insite – Our “Design in Isolation” Nexus in Quarantine
JOIN US & SHARE
We would love for you to post your plans and activities on our IFI Insite channel to encourage and exchange ideas with the global IFI and design community as we are considering “Design in Isolation”.
If you haven’t already joined, just click here.
For more information or to ask a question, please contact IFI Headquarters at email@example.com