IFI WID 2020:
Exploring the connection of the built environment to shaping relationships and human behavior, Interior Architects/Designers have the ability to push all boundaries. Using this year’s theme of ‘Nexus Interiors‘ for inspiration, play with and plan activities which showcase and spotlight your work and the value of our important discipline.
Address the relationships that make up our interior spaces; explore new links and understand the wider network of Interiors’ influence, and seek out new opportunities for positive impact through Interior Architecture/Design.
We invite you to explore the ties between networks, relationships, and more – be it in your interior spaces, communities, or internationally – through the lens of ‘Nexus Interiors’. Within these realms, consider how interiors play a role in connecting our everyday lives.
Some starting points for your creative exploration include:
- Past and Present – preserving or creating new connections across time
- Tangible & Intangible – shaping the material through movement, force and use
- Impact & Influence – the potential to empower and impact performance
- Necessity / Pleasure – evolving for changing needs and behaviors
- Shift / Innovation – creating new connections and questioning the status quo
- Public / Private – blurring the boundaries of access and visibility
- Visual / Auditory – our connection to space through the senses
Hosted annually, World Interiors Day (IFI WID) is a long-standing program that engages a broad range of people and communities around the world. The program is structured around a theme selected by IFI’s professional community of Interior Architecture/Design associations and their members around the world. Design professionals, students and enthusiasts, together with institutions, agencies and members of the public are invited to organize activities that explore the IFI WID theme for that year. Participation in these activities around the globe bring IFI WID to life!
IFI WID is celebrated around the world throughout the entire month of May, and was officially recognized this year on Saturday, 23 May 2020.
IFI WID activities are independently organized and vary in type, size, and location. Activities range from individual showcases, to small group discussions, to large city-wide events. Individuals may work with local and/or national organizations to connect their group to larger celebrations that engage multiple communities. IFI supports proactive events that respect all peoples, societies and cultures. Here are some ways IFI WID can be celebrated in the future:
- Raise public awareness with your local government on the power of interior design, and how well designed interiors can improve life quality, and harmony in your community. Activities for advocacy are encouraged.
- Have your city adopt the IFI Interiors Declaration in honor of IFI World Interiors Day. By adopting the IFI Interiors Declaration, your city joins a vast and influential network of urban leaders who have pledged their support to progressive design that promotes social and economic development for citizens. To learn more about how to adopt the IFI Interiors Declaration, please email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Explore public spaces in your neighborhood or city. Map out how you might use borders more effectively and/or disrupt them.
- Open studios – interior architects/designers may showcase interior spaces that are normally closed to the public. Combine several of these open door programs to create a walking tour that also display your city’s public spaces.
- Open your practice and invite the public in to see how interior architects/designers work and the environments in which they design.
- Exhibitions, art events and trade shows for a curated experience of art and design that cut across borders.
- Lectures, talks, discussions by interior architects/designers, built environment industry members, and other experts at schools, public libraries, or other groups with a broad range of expertise.
- Multi-disciplinary panels and events that engage design institutions and organizations
- Kids’ activities for the next generation of designers! Work with educators to engage children in a range of creative, practical or fun experiences that raise their awareness of the spaces that surround them.
2020 Events Across the Globe
Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- 5 Stunning Wooden Homes – Architectural Digest
- Creating a Holistic and Safe Home – Architectural Digest
- Visiting a CEO’s Home – Baaya Design
- Local Design in a Global World – CSID + IIID
- Local Design in a Global World: Thesis of Interior Design – FCU
- Interiors Education From Home – BU
- “Inline” Online Interiors Festival – CIAT
- ‘Nexus Interiors’ in Pandemics – IUE