Day (IFI WID)
Hosted annually, World Interiors Day (IFI WID) is a long-standing program that engages a broad range of people and communities around the world. The program is structured around a topical area of focus selected by IFI’s professional community of Interior Architecture/Design associations and their members around the world. Design professionals, students and enthusiasts, together with institutions, agencies and members of the public, are invited to organize activities and events that explore and dissect the IFI WID theme for that year. Participation in these activities around the globe brings IFI WID to life!
While the program formally takes place on the last Saturday in May, IFI WID activities and events may run throughout the entire month.
How to Participate
IFI WID activities and events are independently organized and vary in type, size, and location. In the past, activities have ranged from individual showcase to small group discussions to large city-wide events. Individuals may work with local and/or national organizations to link their activities to form larger celebrations that engage multiple communities. IFI supports proactive events that respect all peoples, societies and cultures.
IFI WID 2018: Design Without Borders
Borders may provide structure, but they do not define us.
Borders and boundaries—whether drawn by governments, institutions or citizens—play an important role in determining how we understand the world and our place within it. While consciously drawn boundary lines can foster healthy connections and forge identities, they can also breed misunderstanding and perpetuate division. Borders are not just physical but also metaphorical; they are embedded in our social, political, cultural, disciplinary and emotional realities. These literal and symbolic partitions guide our thoughts and inform our actions to shape the human experience. This IFI WID 2018, participants are challenged to design activities and events that explore all realms of the boundaries that divide and unite us in order to celebrate the fundamentally human elements that connect us all.
IFI WID 2018 is officially designated for Saturday 26 May 2018, but the whole month will play host to activities and events around the globe.
IFI WID activities and events are independently organized and vary in type, size, and location. In the past, activities have ranged from individual showcase to small group discussions to large city-wide events. Individuals may work with local and/or national organizations to link their activities to form larger celebrations that engage multiple communities. IFI supports proactive events that respect all peoples, societies and cultures. Some ways to celebrate IFI WID 2018 are:
- Work with your local government to raise public awareness of the environmental impact of design and how this may cause division or unity. Programs for advocacy are encouraged. Or have your city adopt the IFI Interiors Declaration in honor of IFI World Interiors Day (IFI WID). By adopting the IFI Interiors Declaration, your city joins a vast and influential network of urban leaders who have pledged their support to progressive design that promotes social and economic development for citizens. To learn more about how to adopt the IFI Interiors Declaration, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Explore public spaces in your neighborhood or city and map out how you might use borders more effectively and/or disrupt them.
- Open door programs,where interior architects/designers may showcase interiors spaces normally closed to the public. Combine several of these open door programs to create a walking tour that also displays your city’s public spaces.
- Open your practice and invite the public in to see how interior architects/designers work and the environments in which they design.
- Exhibitions, art events and tradeshows for a curated experience of art and design that cuts across borders.
- Lectures, talks, discussions by interior architects/designers, built environment industry members and other experts at schools, public libraries or other institutions and companies with a broad range of expertise.
- Multi-disciplinary panels and events that engage institutions, organizations
- Kids’ activities for the next generation of designers! Work with educators to engage children in a range of creative, practical or fun experiences that raise their awareness of the spaces that surround them.
IFI WID 2018 Activities
Find WID & participate in WID programs from around the globe.