Day (IFI WID)
Hosted annually, World Interiors Day (IFI WID) is a long-standing program that engages a broad range of people and communities around the world. The program is structured around a theme selected by IFI’s professional community of Interior Architecture/Design associations and their members around the world. Design professionals, students and enthusiasts, together with institutions, agencies and members of the public are invited to organize activities that explore the IFI WID theme for that year. Participation in these activities around the globe bring IFI WID to life!
IFI WID 2018 was celebrated around the world throughout the entire month of May, and was officially recognized on Saturday, 26 May 2018.
IFI WID 2018: Design Without Borders
Borders may provide structure, but they do not define us.
Borders and boundaries—whether drawn physically by governments and institutions, or metaphorically by citizens —play an important role in determining how we understand the world and our place within it. While consciously drawn boundaries can foster healthy connections and forge identities, they can also create division. Literal and symbolic borders guide our thoughts and inform our actions. For IFI WID 2018, participants were challenged to create activities that explore the boundaries that interior design can influence to help unite, connect, or divide us. In this exploration we expect to discover many meaningful connections between design and the human/global experience.
How to Participate: 3 Simple Steps
- Submit your event though our 2 minute online form below
- Organize your activity and celebrate! Remember to take photos and video clips
- Email us a summary of your activity and send us photos + video clips so we can keep a record of your activity in our IFI WID archives
IFI WID activities are independently organized and vary in type, size, and location. Activities range from individual showcases, to small group discussions, to large city-wide events. Individuals may work with local and/or national organizations to connect their group to larger celebrations that engage multiple communities. IFI supports proactive events that respect all peoples, societies and cultures. Here are some ways IFI WID can be celebrated in the future:
- Raise public awareness with your local government on the power of interior design, and how well designed interiors can improve life quality, and harmony in your community. Activities for advocacy are encouraged.
- Have your city adopt the IFI Interiors Declaration in honor of IFI World Interiors Day. By adopting the IFI Interiors Declaration, your city joins a vast and influential network of urban leaders who have pledged their support to progressive design that promotes social and economic development for citizens. To learn more about how to adopt the IFI Interiors Declaration, please email, email@example.com.
- Explore public spaces in your neighborhood or city. Map out how you might use borders more effectively and/or disrupt them.
- Open studios – interior architects/designers may showcase interior spaces that are normally closed to the public. Combine several of these open door programs to create a walking tour that also display your city’s public spaces.
- Open your practice and invite the public in to see how interior architects/designers work and the environments in which they design.
- Exhibitions, art events and trade shows for a curated experience of art and design that cut across borders.
- Lectures, talks, discussions by interior architects/designers, built environment industry members, and other experts at schools, public libraries, or other groups with a broad range of expertise.
- Multi-disciplinary panels and events that engage design institutions and organizations
- Kids’ activities for the next generation of designers! Work with educators to engage children in a range of creative, practical or fun experiences that raise their awareness of the spaces that surround them.
IFI WID 2018 Map